Monday, August 10, 2009

Summer Fun... Let's Have S'More

I'm not quite sure how it happened but I have forgotten what the lazy days of summer are supposed to feel like. The feeling of sweating through your pajamas, watching the lightening bugs dance through the sky and running through sprinklers seems to have evaded me of late. My most recent adult life is chock full of scheduling and planning for future events, not living in the current ones.

As I look into the eyes of my children I try to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the moments. To Savor the summer before it is gone to be replaced by yet another and another one after that until I find myself wishing I had taken more time. That I had stopped and been present.

So my goal for the few days that are left in this summer is to help my children experience the things that I loved most. To count down the final days of school book freedom like a child would, to laugh more, to live more.


Summer Memory #1 - S'mores

Nothing reminds us more of the camaraderie of camping, than roasting marshmallows over an open fire. The thrill you get when your marshmallow is engulfed in flames and the way your heart beats as you pull it close to you to blow it out is beyond compare when it comes to simple summer activities.

The exact origin of the S'more is unclear as is when it was invented but one thing is for certain, it remains a childhood favorite.

What You'll Need:

Graham Crackers
Large Marshmallows
Hersheys Chocolate
Long Sticks (Opened metal hangars, long sticks or tree branches, store bought S'mores Sticks*)
Open Fire

The rest is well, you remember. For those of you, like myself and my family, who quickly become S'mores enthusiasts, you might want to invest in some child safe marshmallow roasting sticks like those found at http://marshmallowstix.com/ or maybe you want to gather a bit more information on this yummy treat, I would suggest visiting http://www.geocities.com/suarezgfam/SmoresHistory.html.

Either way, turn off the television, go outside and if you're lucky you'll be laughing as you remove the stickiness from your daughter's hair and think, now this is summer!

No comments: