Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Take a Walk On The Wild Side...

It is a little known fact that I love bugs. I am the mom at kindergarten pickup who is always surrounded by throngs of kids anxiously waiting to see what I will find next...what I will literally unearth. To look at me, you probably wouldn't guess that I am most happy when turning over some long ago placed brick to see what spectacular world creeps beneath. In fact, my friends are often astounded, if not grossed out by the fact that an earthworm's wriggle makes me smile or that the sight of a prehistoric looking beetle can engage me for hours as he crawls across the pavement.

Although we live in a city, we are lucky enough to be surrounded by nature. Our canyon is filled with great hiking trails and hills that provide us with an up close glimpse of the wild world, that is occasionally more than we asked for with the visit from the mountain lions, . We listen to the coyotes howling at night and smell the skunk as he makes his presence known in our backyard. Top that off with all of the local vegetation and the glorious falcons and other birds and we have quite the outdoor symphony that is wonderful to hear and to see.

Summer Memory #3 - Nature Walk

Life goes by quickly. We scurry around from soccer practice to piano lessons and through Drive Thrus so often that we forget to stop and take a look at our surroundings. When I announced that we were going on a nature walk, I was met by two pairs of skeptical eyes and a chorus of whines that echoed through the canyon. But when I told them we were looking for BUGS, we were out the door before you could blink. (Those apples really don't fall the far from the tree, now do they?)

Our walk was peaceful and educational and we found the biggest nest of Rolly Pollys ever! For me and my kids, it was a good day and we have dirt under our fingernails to prove it.


No comments: